Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Time for Friends....

It's nights like last night when I realize that my time in high school was totally worth it.

Looking back on my high school years, I sometimes realize how few connections I really made. Even at graduation, I was generally friendly with everyone but only close with a few of my class. I remember thinking that the things they wanted from life at that time (to socialize, drink, party, and have fun basically) was not quite in line with what I was doing (working, dancing, prepping for college with scholarships and applications, etc.). Even now, I'm not really all that upset about that because, thankfully, I've had the opportunity to create friendships outside of those I graduated with that are SO much better.

All through high school and through now, I have some of my best friends in the world who graduated a year ahead of me--we call ourselves the Pink Ugliness, for any future reference (it's a looong story, maybe someday I'll share it!). Together, Robyn, Holly, Smiles, and I have had three day long "movie parties", braved lines at each Harry Potter movie on opening day, and traded books like they were baseball cards. Since we've all graduated and gone our separate ways (Robyn to Hope College, Holly to Albion College, Smiles to Kendall, and myself to MSU), we've all been very fortunate to have kept up our friendship despite the distance. Last night, while we sat at Big Boy, I couldn't help but be extremely grateful for that fact. No matter how long we go without seeing each other, the conversation picks right back up where we left off.

I think it's rare in life for some--especially me--to make friendships that are that rock solid. I have friends at school--some who are really close as well--but I know there will come a day where, after I leave college, some of those friends will fade into acquaintances. It happens for everyone, I think. Thankfully, though, I think the Pink Ugliness has etched a permanant place in my life happenings :)

Now, after spending an hour and a half fixing my sister's car (in the cold..grrr!), I'm off to watch Christmas movies like I wanted to. Merry Christmas everyone!

Over and out (for now!)....

No comments:

Post a Comment